CASE STUDY
 

Usability Recommendations for CH Robinson

User Research & Testing // Wireframes // Analysis & Report


The goal of this project was to review an internal company calendar web application in order to discover usability issues and deliver recommendations for the improvement of user experience. To accomplish this, our team conducted usability testing and analysis, collected data, and extracted insights regarding numerous aspects of the application.


CHALLENGE

CH Robinson is a Minneapolis company that makes community outreach and employee engagement top priorities. They use an online system to create and sign up for various events, from food drives to 5ks.

We were asked to review this application and provide actionable recommendations for how we could improve the user experience. 

APPROACH

After an initial heuristic analysis, our team defined a set of user goals that we could test against and report upon. The application would have two types of users, volunteers or administers, each with their own goals. The former would need to be able to sign up for an event, while the latter would need more capabilities in managing and reviewing events and volunteer participants.

 
 
 

USER RESEARCH

My team and I conducted research on three individuals at a usability lab. We developed a script targeting specific parts of the web application that were necessary for our participants to achieve the identified user goals.

 
 

7 participants took part in the study, 3 in-person & 4 remotely.

 
“Did it copy? Do I have to hit save? I have no idea what I actually just did.”
 
 
“Edit task or new shift?
I am confused.”

Data Collection & Analysis

We collected data consisting of general observations, notes about body language and facial expressions, user quotes, and details regarding specific pain points. After user testing was completed, we individually sorted and tagged the raw data in a way that would help us draw out insights based on commonalities. These findings would go on to help me confirm and discover usability issues in order to develop meaningful recommendations.

 

Findings

I sorted the data around positive interactions and pain points in an effort to discover what was working and what needed improvement. These issues were then narrowed down into five primary recommendations:

  1. Fix broken elements.

  2. Provide feedback whenever possible.

  3. Implement consistent language.

  4. Prompt auto-fill & auto-complete in forms.

  5. Offer more control capabilities.

These served to guide the production of a set of wireframes and a low fidelity prototype.

 

Wireframes:

 

 

Low Fidelity Prototype:

 


Conclusion

I put together a review and recommendations report to further compile the findings and offer a concise and simple way for the developers and clients to take action. This included detailed explanations of the wireframes and additional data as support. 

 
 

Aside from one feature that was simply not functional, the main issues had to do with a lack of feedback throughout the application, which left users unsure as to whether they completed an action or if they were doing something wrong. There were also a significant amount of redundant or unclear actions that a user could perform, and that caused confusion and the abandonment of tasks. Finally, the language used to describe some of the tasks did not make sense to users. The solutions revolved around increasing visibility, consistency, and feedback to create the best possible user experience for the employees of CH Robinson.